New Zealand Apples and Pears Incorporated (NZAPI) is the industry body for New Zealand pipfruit and represents growers, packers, and marketers of apples and pears, in domestic and export markets.
The current and future success of the New Zealand apple and pear industry is global in nature. We sell our apples and pears to over 80 countries around the world. The regulatory environment and/or private standards in export markets demand, inform and guide New Zealand production processes. Central to the New Zealand apple and pear industry’s strong reputation is New Zealand’s ability to manage biosecurity risks.
New Zealand Apples & Pears (NZAPI) is looking for a proactive and talented Biosecurity Manager to provide leadership of the biosecurity portfolio for the industry.
About the Role
The Biosecurity Manager is a member of the Executive Team of NZAPI. This position is responsible for leading the apple and pear industry biosecurity portfolio, ensuring that NZAPI is doing everything it can to protect the industry from and prepare for biosecurity risks. The role works collaboratively with the executive team, NZAPI members, government agencies and any other industry bodies to connect ideas, people and knowledge. Some key responsibilities will include –
- Identifying the current and emerging biosecurity risks facing the industry
- Developing and implementing the NZAPI biosecurity strategy to ensure the industry is well prepared to minimise the impact of biosecurity incursions
- Leading and implementing NZAPI biosecurity plans in the event of a response by providing advice to the CEO, Board and joint government and industry response governance.
- Improving industry readiness and resilience
- Leading industry engagement with central and local government officials, regional industry associations and other key stakeholders on biosecurity
- Being the NZAPI spokesperson on relevant biosecurity responses as directed by the CEO
- Providing biosecurity response training programmes to NZAPI staff, Board members and industry as appropriate
- Leading industry participation in GIA including the negotiation and maintenance of Operational Agreements (OAs) for identified risks as well as in the event of an incursion
- Building and maintaining positive strategic and working relationships with key government agencies (notably MPI)
We’re looking for someone who has a passion for the New Zealand primary sector and a solution focused attitude. Our new team member will be able to prioritise high workloads, keep smiling when the pressure is on and have the personality to get on with a range of people.
Important to this role:
- Understanding of New Zealand’s biosecurity system
- Degree in Biosecurity, Horticulture, Science or relevant experience
- Exposure to matters of biosecurity, ideally from within the primary industry
- Experience working within Government processes and policy
- Excellent relationship management and negotiation skills with the ability to effectively represent the team and organisation
- Skillful in visual presentation of information at levels appropriate to a range of audiences
- Ability to influence and hold the line to ensure the highest biosecurity standards are maintained and continually improved
NZAPI offers a collaborative and progressive workplace environment, a competitive remuneration and benefits package and flexible working arrangements.
For a confidential initial discussion about the position please contact Adam Caccioppoli (email@example.com or 0223789057) at Baker Tilly Staples Rodway Recruitment, who is managing this process on behalf of NZAPI.
Applications Close: 5pm Sunday 30th October 2022
We may commence contacting and interviewing candidates prior to the closing date, so please apply without delay.